People will typically start with a low dose of zonisamide and slowly increase up to an effective one. Zonisamide dosing guidelines call for a starting dose of 100 mg, taken once a day for the first two weeks. If you have liver or kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower zonisamide dose and may increase it more slowly.
Zonisamide Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of zonisamide (Zonegran®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your zonisamide dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Zonisamide Dosing for EpilepsyZonisamide is approved to be used along with other seizure medications to treat partial seizures in adults and adolescents age 16 and older. The recommended starting dose is zonisamide 100 mg, taken once daily for the first two weeks. Then, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to zonisamide 200 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may continue to increase your zonisamide dose if necessary to control your seizures, with at least two weeks in between dose changes. Because it takes up to two weeks for zonisamide to reach a steady level in your blood, dose changes should not occur more frequently than every two weeks.
The liver and kidneys help to remove zonisamide from the body. If you have liver or kidney disease, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower zonisamide dosage and may increase your dose more slowly.
General Information on Dosing With ZonisamideConsiderations for people taking zonisamide include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form and is taken by mouth once or twice daily.
- Usually, you will start with a low zonisamide dose and slowly increase up to an effective one.
- Be sure to swallow the capsules whole (do not chew, crush, or open them).
- Zonisamide can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Zonisamide should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Zonisamide will not work if you stop taking it.
If you are unsure about anything related to zonisamide or zonisamide dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Zonegran Withdrawal).