Side Effects of Zolmitriptan
Some people may experience side effects during treatment with zolmitriptan. A few common side effects of zolmitriptan include dizziness, drowsiness, and weakness. Uncommon zolmitriptan side effects can include leg cramps, back pain, and agitation or anxiety. There are also some more serious side effects with zolmitriptan that you should report to your healthcare provider, such as chest tightness, shortness of breath, or signs of an allergic reaction.
Side Effects of Zolmitriptan: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects with zolmitriptan (Zomig®). However, not everyone who takes zolmitriptan will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate zolmitriptan well. When people do develop zolmitriptan side effects, in most cases they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with zolmitriptan. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of zolmitriptan side effects with you.)
Common Zolmitriptan Side EffectsZolmitriptan has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, some of the most common side effects of zolmitriptan include:
- Unusual taste (for zolmitriptan nasal spray) -- up to 21 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 10 percent of people
- Abnormal sensations such as tingling, burning, or pricking (paresthesia) -- up to 10 percent of people
- Neck pain, jaw pain, or throat pain (or tightness or pressure) -- up to 10 percent of people
- Weakness -- up to 9 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 9 percent of people
- Drowsiness -- up to 8 percent of people
- Warm or cold sensations -- up to 6 percent of people.
Some other common zolmitriptan side effects (occurring in 1 percent to 5 percent of people) include:
- Increased sensitivity of the senses, such as increased sensitivity to touch or sound
- Dry mouth
- Chest pain, chest tightness, chest pressure, or heaviness
- Upset stomach or heartburn
- Increased sweating
- Nasal pain or problems (for zolmitriptan nasal spray)
- Difficulty swallowing
- A spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Muscle pain
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations)
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)