Side Effects of Tiagabine
Some of the most common side effects of tiagabine include dizziness, weakness, and shakiness. If side effects occur, they are generally minor and easily treated. Most people have no problems when taking the drug. However, some tiagabine side effects, such as hostility, confusion, and signs of an allergic reaction, are more serious and may require immediate medical attention.
Side Effects of Tiagabine: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with tiagabine hydrochloride (Gabitril®); however, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with tiagabine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of tiagabine side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of TiagabineTiagabine has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of tiagabine included:
- Dizziness -- in up to 31 percent of people
- Weakness -- up to 23 percent
- Shakiness (tremor) -- up to 21 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 21 percent
- Accidental injury -- up to 21 percent
- Infections -- up to 19 percent
- Nervousness -- up to 14 percent
- Problems with concentration or attention -- up to 14 percent.
Other common side effects (occurring in 1 to 11 percent of people) included:
- Flu-like symptoms, such as chills or body aches
- General pain
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Muscle pain
- Coordination problems
- Insomnia (see Gabitril and Insomnia)
- Vision problems
- Urinary tract infection (UTI or bladder infection)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Speech problems
- Sore throat
- Flushing or hot flashes
- Increased appetite.