Drug Interactions With Oxcarbazepine
Some of the medications that can potentially lead to oxcarbazepine drug interactions include birth control pills, Dilantin, and Luminal. These interactions can lead to problems such as increased or decreased effectiveness of the drugs. Be sure to talk with your pharmacist or healthcare provider about the drug interactions with oxcarbazepine that may apply to you.
An Overview of Drug Interactions With OxcarbazepineOxcarbazepine (Trileptal®) can potentially interact with certain other medications. Some of these medicines that may lead to oxcarbazepine interactions include:
- Carbamazepine (Epitol®, Equetro™, Tegretol®, Tegretol® XR)
- Cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®)
- Felodipine (Plendil®)
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Phenobarbital (Luminal®)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin®, Phenytek®)
- Valproic acid (Depakene®) or divalproex sodium (Depakote®, Depakote® ER)
- Verapamil (Calan®, Calan® SR, Covera-HS®, Isoptin SR®, Verelan®, Verelan® PM).
The following sections explain in detail the potentially negative interactions that can occur when oxcarbazepine is combined with any of the drugs listed above.