Nuedexta Warnings and Precautions
Before taking Nuedexta, tell your healthcare provider about any medical conditions you have, such as heart problems, high blood pressure, or any allergies. Also, this medication can cause dangerous drug interactions, so it's important that your healthcare provider is aware of all other medicines you are taking, including nonprescription products. Other precautions and warnings with Nuedexta apply to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Nuedexta™ (dextromethorphan and quinidine) if you have:
- Heart failure or coronary artery disease
- A history of an abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Heart rhythm problems, including QT prolongation or atrioventricular (AV) block
- A family history of heart problems
- High blood pressure, not controlled on medication
- A history of a stroke
- Myasthenia gravis, a condition that affects the muscles and nerves
- Alzheimer's disease
- Difficulty urinating (urinary retention)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.