The standard dosage of Nuedexta for treating pseudobulbar affect (PBA) is the same for everyone. For days one through seven, take one capsule daily; on day eight, the dosage is normally increased to one capsule taken twice daily. Your healthcare provider may try to take you off this medication periodically, as PBA can sometimes improve on its own.
There is only one standard dose for Nuedexta™ (dextromethorphan and quinidine), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard initial Nuedexta dosage for treating pseudobulbar affect (PBA) is one capsule (20 mg/10 mg) taken once daily for seven days. On day eight, the dose is usually increased to one capsule (20 mg/10 mg) taken twice a day, with about 12 hours between doses.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nuedexta include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- Nuedexta can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- Try to take your Nuedexta doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your bloodstream.
- Your healthcare provider may periodically try to take you off this medication. This is because pseudobulbar affect sometimes improves on its own, and you may no longer need the medication.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Nuedexta, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.