Nervous System Home > Side Effects of Sumatriptan
Common side effects of sumatriptan include neck pain; chest tightness or pressure; and abnormal sensations, such as warmth or burning, tightness, or numbness. A few uncommon side effects include asthma, fainting, decreased or increased blood pressure, and breast tenderness. There are also some serious sumatriptan side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider, including shortness of breath, bloody diarrhea, or seizures.
Side Effects of Sumatriptan: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with sumatriptan succinate (Alsuma™, Imitrex®, Sumavel®, Zecuity™). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If people do develop sumatriptan side effects, they are often minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Serious Sumatriptan Side EffectsSome side effects with sumatriptan are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Severe chest pain or tightness (see Imitrex and Heart Problems or Sumavel and Heart Problems)
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden severe abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Bloody diarrhea
- Changes in vision, including loss of vision
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- Unexplained skin rashes
- Wheezing or shortness of breath
- Unexplained swelling.
- Seeing or hearing things that are not there (hallucinations)
- Fast heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Muscle spasms
- Difficulty walking