Nervous System Home > Oxcarbazepine Dosing
Most people need at least oxcarbazepine 1200 mg total per day. However, the recommended starting oxcarbazepine dose for adults and adolescents ages 16 and older is oxcarbazepine 600 mg total per day (split up into two smaller doses per day). Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your oxcarbazepine dosage as necessary. Your age and weight are among the factors that can affect oxcarbazepine dosing.
The dose of oxcarbazepine (Trileptal®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your oxcarbazepine dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting oxcarbazepine dose for adults and adolescents ages 16 and older is oxcarbazepine 600 mg total per day (split up into two smaller doses per day). Your healthcare provider may slowly increase your oxcarbazepine dose as necessary. Most people need at least oxcarbazepine 1200 mg total per day.
For children ages 2 to 16, the recommended starting dose is based on weight. The starting dose is 8 mg to 10 mg per kg (3.6 mg to 4.5 mg per pound), split up into two smaller doses per day. Your child's healthcare provider may increase the oxcarbazepine dose as necessary.
Following are some considerations for people taking oxcarbazepine:
- Oxcarbazepine comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth twice a day.
- Oxcarbazepine can be taken with or without food. If oxcarbazepine upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form (oxcarbazepine suspension) is available for those with difficulty swallowing tablets. Make sure to shake the medicine thoroughly before each dose.
- Oxcarbazepine should be taken at the same times each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Oxcarbazepine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or oxcarbazepine dosing in general, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.