Nervous System Home > Naratriptan Dosing
The naratriptan dosing guidelines your healthcare provider will follow will vary depending on several factors, such as your other medical conditions you may have and other medications you are taking. You should take your dose of naratriptan, which will typically be either 1 mg or 2.5 mg, as soon as you develop symptoms of a migraine; the medication is not meant to be taken on a daily basis.
Naratriptan Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of naratriptan hydrochloride (Amerge®) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your response to naratriptan
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your naratriptan dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Naratriptan Dosing for MigrainesNaratriptan is meant to be taken only during a migraine. The usual dosage of naratriptan for migraine headaches is naratriptan 1 mg or 2.5 mg. In general, the higher dose is more effective, but it has more side effects.
Do not take more than 5 mg of naratriptan per day. People with severe kidney problems (such as kidney failure) or severe liver problems (such as liver failure or cirrhosis) should not take more than 2.5 mg of naratriptan in a 24-hour period.
General Naratriptan Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking naratriptan include the following:
- Naratriptan is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take naratriptan only when you have a migraine.
- Take naratriptan as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow naratriptan tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluid.
- If instructed to do so by your healthcare provider, you may take a second dose of naratriptan if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least four hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of naratriptan.
- Your naratriptan dosage can be taken with or without food.
- For naratriptan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Naratriptan will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to naratriptan or your naratriptan dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.