Nervous System Home > Ethosuximide
When and How to Take EthosuximideSome general considerations for when and how to take this medicine include the following:
- Ethosuximide comes in capsule form and is taken by mouth once or twice daily. It is also available in a syrup form.
- The drug can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Ethosuximide should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
- Do not stop taking ethosuximide without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Zarontin Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of ethosuximide that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
Drug InteractionsEthosuximide can potentially interact with a few other medicines (see Drug Interactions With Ethosuximide).
What If I Take an Overdose of Ethosuximide?People who take too much of this medication may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Difficulty breathing