Inflammation of the brain is also known as encephalitis
. In many cases, patients with this condition will show signs of mild flu-like illness.
More Severe Symptoms of Encephalitis
In more severe cases, patients with encephalitis symptoms may have:
- Problems with speech or hearing
- Double vision
- Personality changes
- Loss of consciousness
- Loss of sensation in some parts of the body
- Muscle weakness
- Partial paralysis in the arms and legs
- Sudden severe dementia
- Impaired judgment
- Memory loss.
Important encephalitis symptoms to watch for in an infant include:
- Body stiffness
- Constant crying that may become worse when the child is picked up
- Full or bulging fontanel (the soft spot on the top of the head).
Encephalitis and Its Complications
In extreme cases of encephalitis, complications can include: