Nervous System Home > Benztropine
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking benztropine if you have:
- Difficulty passing urine
- An enlarged prostate (also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH)
- Tardive dyskinesia (a specific type of extrapyramidal symptoms due to antipsychotic medications)
- An alcohol problem
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- A job that requires you to do manual labor in the heat
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Cogentin and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Cogentin and Breastfeeding).
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- How you respond to benztropine (especially if you develop side effects)
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.