Lioresal Side Effects
Drowsiness, dizziness, and nausea are some of the most common side effects seen with Lioresal. In most cases, side effects are mild, requiring little or no treatment. There are, however, a number of potentially serious side effects that should be reported to a healthcare provider right away. Some of these serious problems include hallucinations, seizures, or chest pain.
An Introduction to Lioresal Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Lioresal® (baclofen) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, some people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Lioresal. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Lioresal side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of LioresalLioresal has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Lioresal were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients).
Based on these studies, the most common side effects of Lioresal tablets included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 63 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 15 percent
- Nausea -- up to 12 percent
- Confusion -- up to 11 percent
- Low blood pressure -- up to 9 percent
- Headaches -- up to 8 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 7 percent
- Constipation -- up to 6 percent
- Frequent urination -- up to 6 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 4 percent.
For the intrathecal injection form (a "baclofen pump"), the most commonly reported side effects included:
- Low muscle tone (hypotonia) -- in up to 34.7 percent of people
- Drowsiness -- up to 20.9 percent
- Headaches -- up to 10.7 percent
- Seizures -- up to 10 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 8 percent
- Difficulty passing urine -- up to 8 percent
- Nausea -- up to 7.3 percent.