The recommended dosage of Lioresal for treating spasticity will vary, depending on how you respond to the medication and other medications you are taking, among other things. Each dose must be individualized. In general, people start with a low dose and gradually increase it. The lowest effective amount should be used in order to minimize side effects.
Dosing With Lioresal: An IntroductionThe dose of Lioresal® (baclofen) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Lioresal
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Oral Lioresal DosageThe dose for Lioresal must be individualized. This means that the optimal amount for one person may be drastically different compared to the optimal amount for another person. In general, people start with a low dosage and gradually increase it as follows:
- Days 1 through 3 -- 5 mg three times a day
- Days 4 through 6 -- 10 mg three times a day
- Days 7 through 9 -- 15 mg three times a day
- Days 10 through 12 -- 20 mg three times a day.
If necessary, the dose can then be increased up to a maximum of 20 mg four times daily. The lowest effective dosage should be used, as higher doses increase the risk of Lioresal side effects.