General considerations include the following:
- Levetiracetam XR comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken by mouth just once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Levetiracetam XR tablets must be swallowed whole. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablets.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking this medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.
The dose of levetiracetam XR that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Levetiracetam XR Dosage for more information.)
Unlike most other seizure medications, levetiracetam XR is unlikely to interact with most medications (see Drug Interactions With Levetiracetam XR).