Levetiracetam XR Dosage
The usual starting dosage of levetiracetam XR for the treatment of partial seizures in people ages 16 and over is two 500 mg tablets once daily. Your healthcare provider will likely gradually increase your dose by 1000 mg every two weeks until an effective dosage is reached. The maximum recommended dose is 3000 mg total per day.
Interested in a Discount on Levetiracetam XR?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
The dose of levetiracetam XR (Keppra XR™) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to levetiracetam XR
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Your age and weight.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting levetiracetam XR dose for partial seizure treatment in adults and adolescents age 16 years and older is 1000 mg (two 500 mg tablets) once daily. Typically, your healthcare provider will slowly increase your dose (by 1000 mg every two weeks) until your seizures are controlled or you develop bothersome side effects. The maximum levetiracetam XR dose is 3000 mg total per day.
If you have kidney disease (including kidney failure), you may need a lower dosage.
Considerations for people taking Levetiracetam XR include the following:
- Levetiracetam XR comes in an extended-release tablet form and is taken by mouth just once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The tablets must be swallowed whole. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablets.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking this medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to levetiracetam XR or your levetiracetam XR dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without consulting your healthcare provider.