Kemadrin Warnings and Precautions
Specific Kemadrin Warnings and PrecautionsSome of the warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Kemadrin include the following:
- Kemadrin can cause drowsiness, confusion, or other mental problems that may interfere with your ability to drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Kemadrin can inhibit the body's ability to cool itself by sweating. This can lead to heat stroke, especially in hot weather. People with alcohol problems and people who work in the heat may be especially prone to heat stroke. Let your healthcare provider know if you think this may be a problem for you (as it can be quite dangerous).
- Kemadrin can worsen (or even cause) glaucoma, bladder or prostate problems, or a rapid heart rate. If you have such problems, Kemadrin may not be right for you.
- Kemadrin should never be used to treat tardive dyskinesia. Not only is Kemadrin ineffective for this use, it can actually make this condition worse.
- Occasionally, Kemadrin may worsen psychotic disorders. If you are using Kemadrin to treat side effects of antipsychotic medications, your healthcare provider should monitor you closely to make sure that Kemadrin does not worsen your disorder.
- Kemadrin can cause hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not really there) or other psychological problems, especially in older individuals. Let your healthcare provider know if you develop hallucinations while taking Kemadrin.
- Kemadrin can cause confusion, memory loss, or other Alzheimer's-like symptoms.
- Kemadrin can potentially interact with several medications (see Kemadrin Drug Interactions).
- Kemadrin is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known (see Kemadrin and Pregnancy).
- It is not known if Kemadrin passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start breastfeeding, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Kemadrin and Breastfeeding).