If you forget to take a dose of Rebif, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, do not take Rebif on two consecutive days. This may mean slightly rearranging your schedule for one week. You can go back to your regular schedule the next week, making sure to separate all doses by at least 48 hours.
If you forget to take a dose of Avonex, simply take the missed dose as soon as you remember and continue with your regular schedule the following week. However, do not take Avonex on two consecutive days.
Is There a Generic Version of Interferon Beta-1a?
Currently, there are no generic versions of interferon beta-1a licensed for sale (see Generic Avonex or Generic Rebif).
Avonex is made by Biogen Idec, Inc. Rebif is made by jointly by Serono, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc.
Avonex comes in the following forms and strengths:
- Avonex 30 mcg lyophilized powder vial
- Avonex 30 mg prefilled syringes.
Both types of Avonex come with alcohol wipes; gauze pads; a bandage; and a 23-gauge, 1.25-inch needle. The Avonex lyophilized powder vial also comes with everything you need to mix the injection.
Rebif comes in the following strengths:
- Rebif 22 mcg prefilled syringes or auto-injectors
- Rebif 44 mcg prefilled syringes or auto-injectors
- Rebif Titration pack (used when first starting interferon beta-1a to slowly increase the dose), which contains the following:
- Six Rebif 8.8 mcg prefilled syringes or auto-injectors
- Six Rebif 22 mcg prefilled syringes or auto-injectors.