General considerations for when and how to take glatiramer include the following:
- The medication comes as an injection. It is injected subcutaneously (just under the skin) once a day.
- Take glatiramer at the same time each day.
- Glatiramer should be injected into areas of the skin that have a layer of fat underneath. This includes the thighs, outer upper arms, stomach (away from the navel), or buttocks. Try to rotate the injection sites (do not inject in the same place twice in a row).
- If the medication is stored in the refrigerator, let it come to room temperature (wait about 20 minutes) before injecting it.
- Make sure your healthcare provider teaches you exactly how to inject glatiramer. This includes how to prepare the skin, how to inject the medication, and what to do with your used needles (this may vary, depending on the local laws and regulations).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Glatiramer will not work if you stop taking it.
There is only one standard recommended dose of glatiramer, regardless of your age or weight. As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Glatiramer Dosing for more information.)
Glatiramer is not likely to interact with most other medications (see Drug Interactions With Glatiramer).