Side Effects of Fingolimod
Although most people do not experience problems while using fingolimod, side effects are possible. Common ones include headaches, diarrhea, and back pain. Serious problems have also been known to occur with this medication. Notify your healthcare provider right away if you experience difficulty breathing, fainting, fever, or other potentially dangerous side effects.
Interested in a Discount on Fingolimod?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
Just like any medicine, fingolimod (Gilenya™) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with fingolimod. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Some fingolimod side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of a very slow or irregular heart rate, including:
- Feeling like your heart is skipping beats
- Any type of infection or signs of an infection (such as a fever)
- Trouble breathing
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Dark urine
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Upper right abdominal (stomach) pain
- Very high liver enzymes
- Signs of macular edema, such as:
- Blurriness, shadows, or a blind spot in the center of your vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Unusually colored vision
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.