The standard dose of fingolimod used for treating multiple sclerosis is the same for everyone, regardless of age or weight. This dosage amount is one 0.5-mg capsule taken by mouth once daily. For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not take a higher dosage, as it can increase your risk for side effects.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of FingolimodThere is only one standard dose for fingolimod (Gilenya™), regardless of your age or weight.
As is always the case, do not adjust your fingolimod dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Fingolimod Dosing for Multiple SclerosisThe standard fingolimod dosage for treating multiple sclerosis (MS) is 0.5 mg taken once daily by mouth. Studies have shown that doses higher than 0.5 mg once daily increase the risk for side effects, without improving effectiveness.
Fingolimod can cause your heart rate to slow down, especially after you take your first dose. This side effect usually occurs within the first hour of taking the first dose, and reaches a maximum effect after six hours; however, some people may continue to develop a drop in heart rate for as long as 24 hours after the first dose. Let your healthcare provider know if you become dizzy, lightheaded, or very tired, as these can be signs of a slow heartbeat.
General Information on Taking FingolimodSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with fingolimod include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- This drug can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- The very first time you take this medicine, you will be in a medical facility where a healthcare provider can monitor you for at least six hours to make sure your heart rate is not dropping too low. In some cases, you may need to be monitored overnight.
- If you stop taking fingolimod for two weeks or more, you will need to restart the medication in a healthcare setting, such as your doctor's office or a clinic.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you have any questions on dosing with fingolimod, talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.