The recommended starting dosage of ethotoin for adults is usually 1000 mg total per day or less, split up into four to six doses. This amount may be gradually increased if needed. The amount for children is based on their age and weight. It is important to take this medicine after eating, and try to spread out your daily doses as evenly as possible.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of EthotoinThe dose of ethotoin (Peganone®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight (for children)
- How you respond to the medication
- Other drugs you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Ethotoin Dosing Guidelines for AdultsEthotoin is usually started at a dosage of 1000 mg total per day or less, divided into smaller doses throughout the day. Typically, your healthcare provider will slowly increase your ethotoin dose until your seizures are adequately controlled. Most adults need a total of 2000 mg to 3000 mg per day, split up into four to six doses.
What Is the Ethotoin Dosage for Children?The starting dose of ethotoin for children will depend on your child's weight, although no specific weight-based dosing guidelines are available. The maximum starting dosage in children is 750 mg per day, split up into several smaller doses per day. Most children usually require 500 mg to 1000 mg per day, split up into four to six doses, although some children may need a higher amount.
General Information on Taking EthotoinSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ethotoin include the following:
- Ethotoin comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth four to six times a day.
- This medication should be taken after food, which can be difficult to manage if you are taking it six times a day. Try to space the doses out as evenly as possible.
- If you will be using ethotoin to replace a different seizure medication, your healthcare provider should instruct you to stop taking your other medication gradually as your ethotoin dosage is increased.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or ethotoin dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.