Eletriptan EffectsIn studies of the medication, up to 77 percent of people with migraines had no (or mild) pain within two hours of taking eletriptan, compared to only 19 to 39.5 percent of people who did not take it.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take this medicine include the following:
- Eletriptan should be taken by mouth as soon as possible once a migraine starts.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water or other fluid.
- If your headache comes back or does not go away after taking eletriptan, your healthcare provider may recommend taking a second dose of the medication after waiting at least two hours after the first dose. Let your healthcare provider know if the medication does not completely work after one dose.
- For the medicine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Eletriptan DosingThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to eletriptan
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Eletriptan Dosing for more information.)
(Click Drug Interactions With Eletriptan for more information.)