Eletriptan dosing guidelines generally call for a dose of 20 mg or 40 mg to relieve symptoms of a migraine. Take the medication as soon as possible once a migraine starts. Usually, the higher dose is more effective, but it can cause more side effects. If your migraine does not go away within two hours of taking the first dose, your doctor may recommend taking a second dose of the medication. Do not take more than 80 mg of eletriptan in a 24-hour period.
Interested in a Discount on Eletriptan?
Enter your email address to see if eMedTV's free DiscountRx service has a program that could help you save on your prescription(s).
Enter Your Email Address
Thank you!Thank you for your interest in DiscountRx from eMedTV. An email has been sent to the address you provided. Please follow the link within that email to see what offers may be available.
The dose of eletriptan hydrobromide (Relpax®) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your response to eletriptan
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Eletriptan is only meant to be taken during a migraine. The usual dosage of eletriptan for migraine headaches is eletriptan 20 mg or 40 mg. In general, the higher dose is more effective, but it has more side effects.
Some considerations for people taking eletriptan include the following:
- Eletriptan is not meant to be taken on a daily basis. Take it only when you have a migraine.
- Take eletriptan as soon as possible after a migraine starts.
- Swallow eletriptan tablets whole with water or other fluid.
- Your healthcare provider may recommend that you take a second dose of eletriptan if your migraine does not go away after the first dose. However, you must wait at least two hours after the first dose before taking a second dose of eletriptan. Do not take more than 80 mg of eletriptan in a 24-hour period.
- You may take your eletriptan dosage with or without food.
- For eletriptan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Eletriptan will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider prescribed it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to eletriptan or your eletriptan dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.