Dimethyl Fumarate Dosage
The amount of dimethyl fumarate your healthcare provider prescribes is a standard amount given to anyone who takes this medicine. The starting dosage of dimethyl fumarate is 120 mg taken twice a day, with an increase to 240 mg twice daily after seven days. This medicine comes as a capsule that should be swallowed whole.
There is only one standard recommended dose of dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The initial dimethyl fumarate dosage for treating multiple sclerosis is 120 mg twice a day. After seven days, this amount is usually increased to a long-term "maintenance" dose of 240 mg twice a day.
When you first start dimethyl fumarate, you may be given both the 120-mg and 240-mg capsules. This is because you will be started on a lower dose, which can be increased to a higher dose after a week. Both are taken twice a day. Make sure you take the correct capsule at the correct time.
Within six months before starting treatment, your healthcare provider will need to do blood tests to check your blood cell count. This is to make sure it is safe for you to take dimethyl fumarate. Your healthcare provider will also likely monitor your blood cell counts at least once a year during treatment.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with dimethyl fumarate include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- You can take dimethyl fumarate with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach. Taking the drug with food may also reduce flushing (warmth, redness, itching, or burning sensations) that can occur with its use.
- Try to take your doses at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush, chew, or open them. Do not sprinkle the capsule contents on food.
- For dimethyl fumarate to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dimethyl fumarate dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.