Diazepam Rectal Gel
Effects of Diazepam Rectal GelTwo studies have evaluated diazepam rectal gel for treating seizures. In these studies, the medication was studied in adults and children with occasional periods of increased seizure activity, despite treatment with other seizure medications. In these studies, diazepam rectal gel helped decrease the frequency of seizures during these periods of increased activity.
When and How to Take Diazepam Rectal GelSome general considerations for when and how to take diazepam rectal gel include the following:
- Diazepam rectal gel comes in two different types of syringes, one of which must be set to the right dose by your pharmacist. Each time you receive a new prescription of diazepam rectal gel, be sure to ask your pharmacist if the correct dose has been set. Do not use a syringe if you are not sure that the correct dose has been set. The other kind of syringe contains a small dose that is appropriate for young children (diazepam rectal gel 2.5 mg) and does not need to be set.
- Diazepam rectal gel comes with packets of lubricating jelly, which are used to lubricate the rectal tip of the syringe.
- You will not be able to give yourself a diazepam rectal gel dose. Therefore, make sure that those around you are aware that you have the medication available and that they are informed about how to give you a dose of it.
- Be sure to closely follow the directions that come with diazepam rectal gel. Also, inspect the syringes for any cracks, as this has been a problem with the medication in the past. Do not use a syringe that is cracked.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing Information for Diazepam Rectal GelThe dose of diazepam rectal gel that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age and weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your diazepam rectal gel dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Diazepam Rectal Gel Dosing for more information.)