When and How to Take DepakeneGeneral considerations for when and how to take Depakene include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule or oral syrup form. It is usually taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- It can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush or open the capsules. They should be swallowed whole in order to prevent throat and stomach irritation.
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Depakene will not work if you stop taking it.
- Do not stop taking Depakene without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Valproic Acid Withdrawal).
Dosing InformationThe dose of Depakene that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type of seizures being treated
- Your weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your Depakene dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Depakene Dosage for more information.)