General Information on Dosing With DepakeneConsiderations for people taking Depakene include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule or syrup form. It is usually taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- Depakene can be taken with or without food. If the medication upsets your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Do not crush or open Depakene capsules. They should be swallowed whole in order to prevent throat and stomach irritation.
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Depakene will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Depakene dosage, talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Valproic Acid Withdrawal).