Precautions and Warnings With Carbidopa-Levodopa
Talk to your healthcare provider about precautions and warnings with carbidopa-levodopa before starting treatment to discuss possible side effects or complications that may occur. For example, tell your healthcare provider if you have certain health conditions, such as any mental illness or malignant melanoma, as they may become worse with carbidopa-levodopa. Warnings and precautions also include potential drug interactions and allergic reactions.
Carbidopa-Levodopa: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking carbidopa-levodopa (Sinemet®) if you have:
- Malignant melanoma (a type of skin cancer) or any undiagnosed skin lesions
- Glaucoma (an eye condition)
- Any mental illness, including depression
- Heart problems of any kind
- Lung problems, such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- A history of stomach or intestinal ulcers
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.