When and How to Take Carbidopa-LevodopaGeneral considerations to keep in mind when taking this medicine include the following:
- Carbidopa-levodopa comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually three or four times a day.
- The protein in food can decrease the absorption of carbidopa-levodopa into the body. Some healthcare providers recommended taking the medication on an empty stomach or with a low-protein diet.
- Make sure to take carbidopa-levodopa at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For this medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carbidopa-levodopa will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking the drug suddenly without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Who Makes It?
Brand-name carbidopa-levodopa is made by Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc., for Merck & Co., Inc. Generic versions are made by various manufacturers.
- Carbidopa-levodopa 10-100 mg (10 mg of carbidopa and 100 mg of levodopa)
- Carbidopa-levodopa 25-100 mg (25 mg of carbidopa and 100 mg of levodopa)
- Carbidopa-levodopa 25-250 mg (25 mg of carbidopa and 250 mg of levodopa).