Considerations for people taking carbidopa-levodopa include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth usually three or four times a day.
- The protein in food can decrease the absorption of carbidopa-levodopa into the body. Some healthcare providers recommended taking the drug on an empty stomach or with a low-protein diet.
- Make sure to take carbidopa-levodopa at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carbidopa-levodopa will not work if you stop taking it. Do not stop taking the drug suddenly without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your carbidopa-levodopa dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.