When and How to Take Benztropine
Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Benztropine comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually one to four times daily. It is also available in an injectable form for use in certain situations.
- If you take it just once a day, it is usually recommended to take it at bedtime.
- You can take it with food or on an empty stomach.
- Make sure to take benztropine at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it. Do not suddenly stop taking the drug without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Who Makes It?
Brand-name benztropine tablets were originally made by Merck & Co., Inc., but are no longer available. Generic benztropine tablets are made by various manufacturers (see Generic Cogentin for more information)
. Injectable benztropine is only available as a brand-name product (no generic form of injectable benztropine is available). It is sold under the brand-name Cogentin
and is made by Ovation Pharmaceuticals.
Strengths of Benztropine
Brand-name benztropine is no longer available. Generic benztropine tablets are available in the following strengths:
- Benztropine 0.5 mg
- Benztropine 1 mg
- Benztropine 2 mg.
Brand-name injectable benztropine is still available (in 2 mL ampules, with 1 mg of benztropine per mL).