Is Bell's Palsy Contagious?
No one knows the exact cause or causes of Bell's palsy (see Causes of Bell's Palsy). Doctors can seldom explain why one person gets Bell's palsy and another does not. However, it is clear that Bell's palsy is not contagious. No one can "catch" Bell's palsy from another person.
Research has shown that people with certain conditions are more likely than others to develop Bell's palsy. Conditions associated with Bell's palsy include:
- Influenza or a flu-like illness
- Sarcoidosis (an inflammatory disease)
- Chronic middle ear infection (otitis media)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Lyme disease
- Trauma such as a skull fracture or facial injury.